Wednesday 8 September 2010

5 Minutes with the Pope

I've been meaning to do a blog on the Pope UK visit for some time now, but this article in the New Humanist has finally inspired me to get around to it. So, if I had five minutes with the Pope, this is what I would like to say:

Pope Benedict, may I assume, for a second, that there is no God -- the primary justification for your actions and your position of authority. If this is the case, you have made women second class citizens and homosexuals outcasts for no reason. You have helped to spread HIV/AIDS by condemning condoms on the basis of a myth. And people in your organisation (and, if many reports are to be believed, you yourself) have covered up child molesters to protect the reputation of a lie. Given these countless millions who have suffered or have been killed, how is it that you can be regarded as a figure of moral authority, and how can you say, with the complete confidence that it would require, that you have acted justly?

I believe that this is the closest I can come to expressing my disgust at the actions of the Catholic Church, but I will never be able to put into words the horror and sadness that I feel, knowing that there are millions of people who hold this hateful, bigoted, misogynistic homophobe in the highest regard possible.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, Chris. That is, it would be interesting if your assumption wasn't entirely unjustified. Let me make this clear to you: GOD EXISTS. I feel it is my duty to point out that, should you persist in your current sinning, you will undoubtedly burn in Hell for eternity. Eternity's a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is a God who feels an eternity's worth of punishment is fitting for this blog, but is fine with covering-up child abuse, I'm probably better off as far away from him as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is for you, Dwight:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP8MUL5kiSA

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strongly agree with you Chris if we have to act like and understand the catholic churches actions on these points i don't think i'd like to end up in their version of 'paradise.'

    ReplyDelete